Chocolate Haupia Cupcakes
Recipe Number: 1342123335
Contributor: Lovena Harwood
1 box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
3 Large Eggs
1 C Water
1/3 C Vegetable Oil
1 - 16oz can Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1 - Package Sweetened Coconut Flakes
2 12 Cupcake Pans
Silver Cupcake Liners (enough for 24 cupcakes)
Haupia filling: (You can buy this packaged or make from scratch)
2 - 2 oz Envelopes of NOH Brand Haupia
|Haupia Filling from Scratch
2 C Coconut Milk
1/2 C Sugar
3 Tbls Cornstarch
1/2 C Water
1 tsp Coconut Extract
|1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions using eggs, water and oil.
2. Cool cupcakes completely.
3. Using the cone method, use a small paring knife to cut a cone out of the center of each cupcake.
4. Cut or break off the tip of cone to leave room for Haupia filling.
5. Mix Haupia according to package directions using water. Or use the recipe above.
6. As Haupia cools, it will thicken.
7. Spoon quickly into the cupcakes and replace cupcake tops.
8. Frost cupcakes.
9. Dip cupcakes in a small shallow bowl filled with coconut flakes, making certain to cover frosting with coconut flakes.
Haupia Filling from scratch
1. Mix sugar and cornstarch with water in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat the coconut milk in a medium saucepan.
3. Stir sugar/cornstarch mixture into hot coconut milk.
4. Cook stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in coconut extract and cool.
|** Store in airtight container. Yield 24 cupcakes.
** NOH Brand Haupia mix sold in Hawaii, some mainland Asian Grocery stores and online.